- The gate way to the Lord !
When Aurangzeb embarked on a policy of total destruction of Hindu temples,
the custodians of the idol of Shrinathji of Govardhan near Mathura, left
that place with the idol in search of a safe heaven. While several other
princes were diffident, it was Maharana Raj Singh who dared to provide
refuge. In 1672 AD Shrinathji was installed in a new temple built in
Sinhad, now called Nathdwara on the banks of the river Banas.
Ever since Nathdwara is a place of great sanctity for the vaishnavas
of the pushtimargi or vallabha sect. Nathdwara is known for Pichwais
(Large paintings on cloth depicting legends from the life of Lord Krishna
) and Haweli music ( devotional music,
akin to dhrupad singing with composition meant for various seasons,
festivals and sections of the day )
Shrinathji is the image of Lord Krishna. There are two different types of
pooja - one is 'Nityotsava', daily routine and another 'Varshotsava',
occasional or special. The former includes " Mangla, Shringar,
Gwal, Rajbhog, Uthapan, Bhog, Arti and Shayan."
Where as the later includes "Prakatyotsava, Patotsava,
Basantotsava, Dolotsava, Nand Mahotsava, Shardotsava, Snan
Yatra, Janmashthami, Gopashthami and Anna koot "etc.
details are available at http://www.nathdwaratemple.org
As with the Shrinathji at Nathdwara, the idol of Dwarikadheesh ji was
installed in a new temple at Kankroli in V.S.1726, the
town nestles by the beautiful lake of Rajsamand, which was built by
Maharana Raj Singh.
History reveals that the king Ambrish worshipped Prabhu Dwarikadheesh at
Arbuda hills [Mount Abu ] from where the deity was shifted by
various devotees finally to Mahaprabhu Vallabhacharya ji. The third
grand son of Vallabhacharya, Shri Bal Krishna Lal ji took the possession
of the deity and since then, Kankroli is known as third peeth of vaishnav
religion or "SHUDDHADWAIT" or "PUSHTIMARG"
The Jain religious shrine of Bodhisthal lies at Kelwa just 13 km away from
Rajsamand. In 1760 AD a new Jain sect called "TERA PANTH" was
born at Kelwa. It was founded by a Jain saint Bhikam ji which gradually
spread through out India and is now one of the firmest Jain sect in
India , having Acharya Tulsi (now late) as its chief preacher - the
promoter of Anuvrat movement in India, The place where Bhikam ji meditated
and made his first preaching of new Panth is known as Bodhi Sthal.
Parshu Ram Mahadev
It is one of the beautiful place on the peak of the
hill. It is believed that Parshu Ram prayed Lord Shiva at this
place. It is a beautiful place surrounded by green
hills. To reach the temple (which is a cave made by Parshu Ram with the
stroke of his weapon Pharsha), pilgrims have to ascend a distance of
around four km. Near by area is protected by forest department as wild
life sanctuary. It is about 80 kms from Rajsamand, situated near the town
Sadri on the way to Jodhpur.
About 38 kms north to Rajsamand and 103 km north of Udaipur, on the road
leading to Jodhpur lies an old famous temple of Charbhuja Nath, a Vishnu
temple built in 1444 AD. As per the inscription placed inside the temple,
name of the village was Badri, therefore, the idol is considered as
BadriNath. The deity of Charbhuja Nath is considered to be miraculous.
Thousands of pilgrims visit here and make pledged before it in order to
enjoy the favour of diety. A large fair is held here every year on
Bhadrapad Ekadashi i.e. Jhaljhoolani Ekadashi. The town is also called
Charbhuja after the name of the deity.